Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Ramblings

Don't know how many people actually read this thing, and sometimes I'm not sure why I have it when I don't post much. Today seems like a day I need to write.

So much has been going on lately. I've been busily pulling together our curriculum for next year. Noah has decided he'd like to come home. I'm thrilled but overwhelmed by the thought of it. I'm so excited to be able to have more time with him and to teach him the way I'd like him to be taught. He is an eager learner who seems to me to be stifled by traditional learning. Already, he's been cracking his math book and practicing calligraphy. The kid has AMAZING penmanship. He is really embracing the idea of homeschooling. The other day I asked him to give me 10 reasons why he wants to be homeschooled and he fired off 8 or so very good reasons. Pretty neat.

I've decided to dive into using Sonlight. It is a literature/history based program. He will be studying World History (with American History woven in) in depth for two years. It utilizes great, classic literature with living text to draw the reader in. His writing assignments will be based on what he is reading. I love this comprehensive approach and I have a feeling I'm going to be learning A LOT!!!

Simone and Ahni will also be studying World History so we will combine a lot of the reading. I aspire to have a hands-on approach to learning (we did a lot of that this past year and the girls LOVED it), so I hope I can juggle that with everything else that needs to be done during the day.
The biggest challenge will be handling little Abel. He is non-stop energy. He wants to be right in with the big kids, so I'll need to be creative to keep him occupied. It will be even more challenging when little Eyob joins us. My sling will be getting a lot of use!!! (By the way, no
adoption news...still waiting for his child report.)

Currently Abel is OBSESSED with letters and numbers. It really is uncanny. I walked past a speed limit sign yesterday and he exclaimed, "Five!" I couldn't believe it. His favorite thing to do is to walk around the block and point out the letters/numbers on license plates, house numbers, and real estate signs. The kid knows half the alphabet already. Sometimes I can't believe he's not even two yet. Below is a pic of him enjoying painting. He asks for more and more paint!!!




I'll be running a 5k this Saturday. I'm a little nervous, but it should be pretty easy after some of the longer runs I've been doing lately. Tonight I enjoyed a 5 mile run over the Williamstown bridge.

I'm also considering trying once-a-month cooking. Although I would probably do bi-weekly cooking instead. I'd like to have the freezer stocked for the first month or so of the school year.
Anyone want to join me?

Life is full but so wonderful. I wouldn't want it any other way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved reading your ramblings, Em.

I agree it's weird to write, not knowing if anyone is reading (the fate of all bloggers), but rest assured I read your blog. I subscribe through Google Reader and it lets me know whenever there's a new post. Does this make you nervous about posting or more inclined (knowing someone will 'hear' what you say)? I don't know. I'm sure others are reading, too.

Your pics, as always, are super!

Oh, BTW, I am psyched to study all the subjects you mentioned after reading about the schooling. :-)

Christina said...

I read too :). I would totally do the once a month cooking with you, except that my freezer is...not so large :). And go Abel, with the letters and numbers! Half the alphabet really is amazing. Congrats again on little Eyob. I can't wait to see pictures! Hoping your process moves swiftly so he can come home soon.

Anonymous said...

I'd consider joining you for the once a month cooking. Do you have a plan or meal ideas? I don't have room in my freezer for a whole months worth but I could contribute and make smaller portons. I did this once with amber when we did the zone diet. we had a blast preparing meals together. Keep me posted.

Finding Beth said...

My goodness, could Brianna be any more beautiful....great pictures!

AHOPE for Children